GCN formed a Giving Circles Advisory Panel in
March 2006 for the purpose of helping to guide and provide feedback to GCN on
the issues and services that would be most useful to Giving Circles. The
Advisory Panel is representative of Giving Circles nationwide as it includes
members (and in some cases leaders) of Giving Circles, which are: new and established; informal and formal;
small, medium and large sized in membership; geographically dispersed across the
U.S., and of various financial funding levels.
(Below: Panel Data; Also
see: Giving Circle Descriptions)
*Nationwide/Global (Geographically Dispersed
Membership Giving Internationally):
Global Sojourns Giving
Funding Arts Network “FAN” (Miami-Dade,
- Panel Member Info: Deborah Hoffman
- Circle Contact Info: Rachel Blechman,
President (305) 789-7708
- Type Arts Focus - Metro Area (Large,
- Age/Size: 11 years old with a large
membership (approx. 200).
- Grant Level: Each member gives $1000/yr;
grants totaling $2,018,100 awarded to 75 organizations ($200K in 2005; $195K
in 2006, and $220K in 2007).
Washington Womenade (Washington, DC)
Women for Wise Giving of Alexandria (WWGA)
- Panel Member Info: Lynn O'Connell
- Type: Emerging Non Profits Focus - Area
Specific/Locally Based (Hosted & New, Small GC)
- Age/Size/Info: Approximately three years
old with 15 members and focusing on funding emerging non profits that serve
the Alexandria community.
- Grant Level: Members donate $1200/yr.
Women Making A Difference (Charleston, SC)
- Panel Member Info: Darci Grady
- Type Women & Children - County Specific
(Hosted & Medium Sized GC)
- Age/Size/Info: Approximately four years old
with 75 members; utilizes a community foundation as host/agent
- Grant Level: $150K
Fund for Women's Empowerment (Traverse City, MI)
- Panel Member Info: Carmen Stevens, Director
of Philanthropic Services, The Falconer Group
- Circle Contact Info: (231) 946-5320 or email
- Type Inter-Generational, Globally
- Age/Size: Established in 2008 (30
members) and currently applying for non-profit status.
- Grant Level: $25-50K
Giving Circle of HOPE (Reston, VA)
- Panel Member Info: Linda Strup, Co-Founder
and Guiding Circle Member
- Circle Contact Info: email@example.com, P.O.
Box 8832, Reston, VA 20195
- Type Social Investment Club (Donations &
Service)/Community Focused (Hosted and Large)
- Age/Size: Three years old (as of 01/07);
Large (100+ members); and locally focused (both service and giving).
- Grant Level: Members give $365 annually; in
three years, GCH has funded $145K in grants and provided 3000 service hours
7. Impact Austin (Austin, TX)
"Ordinary women...extraordinary impact"
- Panel Member Info: Rebecca Powers, Founder
& President; Phone: (512) 335-5540
- Circle Contact Info: Rebecca Powers,
Founder & President, Phone: (512) 335-5540
- Type Community Philanthropy/Metro Area
- Age/Size: Approximately five years old with
510 members (exceeding its goal to grow to 500 members by the end of 2007).
- Grant Level: As of 12/31/07, Impact
Austin has put $1,067,000 into the community in the form of 10 grants. By
June 2008, Impact Austin will have invested $1,577,000 into the community in
the form of 15 $100K+ grants over five years. Individual members give
San Diego Women's Foundation (SDWF)
Panel Member Info:
- Circle Contact Info: Carol Chang, President
- Type Established (GC that has evolved into
a formal Foundation); serving the San Diego region; Issue Focus - Women in
Philanthropy with changing annual issue focus, but forming Sub-Circles
(Discovery Teams) on different issues.
Established 1999; Large (261 members)
- Grant Level: Members give $2000/yr w/ 45%
going to the SDWF endowment, 45% to pooled fund for community grants, and
10% to operations
Giving Circles (GSGC)